Tuesday, January 29, 2008

On the Shishalh Nation Statement...

Well, what to make of this? If I were a Starbucks-sodden business pundit at a national newspaper today, I might write:

"The shishalh Nation is undertaking a robust approach to Aboriginal Title and Rights within its claimed Nation Territory. What we may be witnessing here is a paradigm shift..."

If I were Winston Churchill, I might write:

"Never have so many on the Sunshine Coast, been so annoyed by so few."

If I were I were Karl Marx, I might write:

"This is a perfect example of the dialectic at work. We have had the thesis and now we are to experience the anti-thesis. We wait for the synthesis of this materialistic struggle."

If I were Plato, I might write:

"The shadows we see reflected on the cave wall...oops, sorry, they're petroglyphs. My mistake."

Yes, I am having a bit of fun here and no, I do not take the shishalh Nation Statement lightly. In fact, I am trying to understand it and the Band's decision to release it in light of the political theories I have studied and by putting it into an historical context. I am actually quite excited by this Statement and must lean towards Marx by saying there is an opportunity here for an extraordinary synthesis if all sides in this issue are willing to set aside historical prejudices and differences and envision the possibilities.

No comments: